Addendum: 10/14/2017 – the Fishing Trip has been rescheduled for later in the month: Sunday, October 29th. Please make a note of the Change in your Calendar.
Last year’s Fishing Trip was a great success with our scouts. Our second annual Fishing Trip is scheduled for Saturday Oct-14th as this won’t interfere with our planned Fall Hike (October 21) or Eagle Candidate GianLuca Roses’ Eagle project (October 7).
We have chosen the Paramount Fishing Vessel out of Brielle…less than an hour ride from Montclair. You can read more about the company here: http://www.wreckmasters.com/
The Trip Details:
||Sunday, October 29,
7:30 am – 2:30 pm
||Bogan’s Deep Sea Fishing Center,
800 Ashley Ave.,
Brielle, NJ 08730
||3/4 Day BONITO – BLUES – ALBACORE – MACKEREL
Rod Rental $5* $3 Discount coupon from their site here.
What to Bring:
- Warm clothing in layers.
- Food and Drinks for the day.
- Cooler and large 2 Gallon zip-lock bags for Fish/Fillets.
- Extra socks and warm boots – rubber/waterproof preferred.
- Fishing Rods are available on the boat for a nominal $5 fee.
Addendum: 10/14/2017: The previous flyer is now out of date, please disregard the date on this flyer, all other information is correct.
Download and print out the Troop 12 Fishing Trip 2017 flyer for reference.
Thanks to ASM Victor Parada for organizing this trip.
Jake Skorzewski’s Eagle Project This Sunday
Jake will have his Eagle project this Sunday, October 30th, from 10AM to 2 PM at his house at 89 Bellevue Avenue in Montclair. For his project, we will be painting and assembling vertical gardens, so wear clothes you don’t care about. For more information, email Jake here.
Cub Scout Uniforms Needed
We have had a request from another Pack for any spare Cub Scout uniforms your sons may have outgrown. Please drop them off with Mr. Joslyn at a weekly meeting.
Food Drive — Our Holiday Food Drive is almost here and more information will be given at the next Friday meeting by Justin Leong.
Committee Meeting — The next Troop Committee Meeting will be held at St. James next Tuesday at 7:30PM in the Library.
Training Conference 2 will be held at Glen Grey on November 12th to 13th (Saturday to Sunday). Patrols will be camping and cooking outside, so warm sleeping bags and other outdoor gear will be required. At this Training Conference we will be investing our new Scouts into Troop 12. More information will follow in the next few weeks.
Yours in Scouting,
Troop 12 Staff
Troop 12 meets most Friday nights @ 7PM
at St. James Episcopal Church
581 Valley Road Montclair
*Please check the calendar for any exceptions
Scoutmaster Carl Joslyn
Scoutmaster Jeff Gaskin
Troop Chair John Hartinger
Please note that this will be a living document, and will be updated as mistakes are found or addendums are added, until the end of the season. If there are any mistakes, conflicts or omissions, please let us know using our contact form below so that we can update it.
||Refers to a Training Conference, followed by a number, this usually refers to a camping trip at Camp Glen Gray in Mahwah, where the boys learn most of their camping skills. These usually involve a single overnight stay. During winter and unexpected inclement weather, the boys will sleep inside our cabin.
|| Refers to Merit Badge Sessions, followed by a number, these are held at our regular Friday meetings from 8 – 8:45pm. there are three Merit Badge Sessions in the Troop’s calendar from September 2016 through May 2017.
|| Recruitment is essential to the survival of the troop. There are a few key dates around Montclair’s Middle School “back-to-school” events where we can reach a large number of parents with flyer distribution and an explanation of how our troop works. Additional Parent and Scout volunteers (in full Class A uniforms) are always welcomed.
If you have questions or comments about the schedule, you can leave us a note In the form below.
When: 3 pm
(We’ll wait for Charles and Rich, stragglers, etc who have different schedules)
Where: Watchung Plaza next to Watchung Booksellers
What to pack/bring:
- Check for $75 made out to “Montclair Troop 12”
- Bring extra cash for souvenirs, snacks, etc.
- Signed consent form (you can download the form here)
- Required medicines for allergies, and other conditions should be brought and kept in a water-proof bag.
- Let Scoutmaster Carl Josleyn know if you have special dietary or contaminant allergies or religious restrictions that he should be aware of, and you have not informed us about, earlier.
- Sack meal for dinner to be eaten on the road
- (many boys go to the sandwich place off Watchung before the bus leaves the plaza)
- Sleeping bag (rated for winter)
- Sleeping pad, we will be sleeping outside
- Clothes for 2 days, including
- Rain coat/poncho (looks like it might rain one of the days)
- Hiking Boots or comfortable walking sneakers
- Patrol Leaders: bring one tent for your entire patrol
- Staff: SPL Ben will bring a tent for all staff
- Adults: adults will sleep separately and must bring their own tents/make arrangements to share with another adult. Under no circumstances can scouts and adults share a tent unless all occupants are related)
Downloadable information flyer: 2016 Spring Bus Trip
*This post may be updated with additional information including the itinerary/eating schedule.